Building with Strawbales
Dates: June 3 & 4, 2017
Download PDF about this course
- Earlybird discount ends COB Friday May 19th, 2017
- Payment is transferable to another person but non-refundable
if you cancel less than 2 weeks before the course date
- Group discount (save $15 pp) - book 2 or more people in one transaction
- Morning and afternoon tea is provided.
BYO lunch (fridge available, no heating facilities)
- Direct deposit or cheque: Download this form and email it back to us
(no need to select any options below)
- Online payments: Book your place below using your credit card.
Please also download this form and email it back to us
In this two-day course we will present you with an opportunity to assess the opportunities for strawbale building in your life, whether you wish to build your own home, construct a chook shed or just decide if strawbale is the right medium for your project.
We take you through the theory and design of strawbale building as well as actually building part of a strawbale structure and well discuss load-bearing versus pole frame structures, various wall shapes, foundations, plastering options, floors - earthen, concrete and wood.
You will learn through lectures, practical activities, case studies, videos, slides and a wealth of printed material.
In past workshops we have built an extension to the homestead at The Food Forest, a commercial coldroom, the 'Eco Gazebo', the 'Studio', an indoor/outdoor food preparation entertainment area and a beautiful sculptured garden wall using this extraordinary medium.
- Basic construction techniques
- Load-bearing vs pole frame structures
- Design principles and site assessment
- Doors and windows
- Natural finishes
- Floors, foundations and roof options
- Fire, termites and rodents
- Building regulations and Council approvals
- Builders, Contractors, Owner Builder comparisons
Bookings & Refunds
- The organisers reserve the right to cancel the course with one weeks notice if registrations are insufficient. In this case a full refund will be made.
Fact sheets on strawbale building